The Great Western Greenway is a greenway rail trail in County Mayo, Ireland. It is 42 kilometers long and begins in Westport and ends in Achill, passing through the towns of Newport and Mulranny as it runs along the coast of Clew Bay.
Check their Website: http://www.greenway.ie/
Personally, I think this is a great idea, it’s perfect for long walks, runs, and cycling. It was amazing views of the Irish nature , and amazing landscapes. We walked from Westport to Newport (+10k – yeah it’s kinda crazy I know) and we took almost 3hours because we did the longest way. Everyone does it by bike, and only takes an hour and a half but we don’t really have the legs to cycle so we walked, and besides being really far, we saw some amazing landscapes. This part of the greenway does not have the best views but we liked it anyway.
You have around 3 shops were you can rent a bike for 15€ a day. They also make some routes from Westport to Achill Island. Check it out:
Useful Cycling Tips!
· Give way to pedestrians
• Remember that some people are hard of hearing or visually impaired. Don’t assume they can see or hear you.
• Where there are wheelchair users or horse riders, please give way
• Take special care at junctions, when cycling downhill and on loose surfaces
• Look all around before carrying out any maneuver to make sure it is safe to do so.
• Give clear hand signals and in good time when you intend to carry out maneuvers.
• Cycle in single file on narrow or busy roads and when overtaking.
• Use cycle tracks where they are provided.
• Ring a bell or politely call out to warn of your approach; acknowledge people who give way to you
• Respect countryside activities, such as farming and forestry
• Keep your bike roadworthy; use lights in poor visibility
• In remote areas carry food, repair kit, map, mobile phone and waterproofs
• Wear a helmet and high visibility clothing
- Up to date Map & Guide
- Weather Check
- Clothing & Equipment – Sturdy walking Boots / Shoes, Waterproof Jacket, warm clothes, hat & Cloves, Water/Liquid & Snack, Mobile Phone.
- Tell someone about your plans.
- Emergency Telephone Numbers & Local Taxi Numbers etc.
- Accommodation Plans – if planning a multi-day hike.
Read more about here.
Most important: Take your camera, register the adventure and enjoy yourself 🙂